Friday, March 17, 2017

The Research Begins

Today I started researching Successful horror film techniques and was pleased with what I found. I found a nice straight forward article titled "5 Rules From James Wan For Making a Successful Horror Movie in 2016" and I was pleased with the very first rule! As you may remember from my previous blog posts about my concerns, I was a bit worried about not having enough money for the film opening we were creating. Rule number one was that a Horror movie doesn't have to be expensive it even says that "If you can’t scare an audience with a low budget, you’re probably going to struggle to find success in the horror genre." This was such a huge relief for me because personally that was my greatest concern!

Rule number two was Tuning a classic on its head which basically put your own twist on a classic idea and basically that's what we want to do with our own film. We want to make a horror film about a serial killer but from the detectives point of view. This is an idea that hasn't really been touched yet and that is going to put a different flair to the serial killer movies.

Rule 3 is creating a Great set piece which we will produce in the film opening. As i explained in my previous blog post, the serial killer will be wearing the victims dress before he kills the rest. This is the iconic scene that people will talk about for the restive their lives.

Rule 4 is to undermine your audience like the set piece we have come up with the element of surprise is the most important effect. When the serial killer is unexpectedly viewed on a couch with 3 other kids wearing the 4ths dress it throws you off a bit. This element of surprise keeps the viewers at the edge of their seat.

rule number 5 is appeal to primal human fears which is basically saying to tap into child hood fears that may cause flashbacks. Although we haven't come up with any ideas for this for our own movie im sure we can incorporate elements to make the movie scarier than it already is.

These 5 rules are sure to help me and my group members succeed on our film opening.

Winfrey, G. (2016, August 04). 5 Rules From James Wan For Making a Successful Horror Movie in 2016. Retrieved March 17, 2017, from http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/5-rules-from-james-wan-making-a-successful-horror-movie-in-2016-1201709025/

No comments:

Post a Comment